An initiative is underway in Australia which has led to the creation of a new political party called Senator On-Line. The party is unique in that it is the first internet based party in Australia, and it seeks to elect representatives to office who have pledged to vote according to the will of the people, and not their own personal views. this will be achieved by an internet based popular poll being held for each bill brought before the parliament. The result of the poll will determine the way the Senator On-line senator votes on the bill, effectively creating a mixed direct/representative democracy in which the senator is merely a proxy representative executing the expressed will of the people. The Senator On-line party was officially registered and participated in the 2007 Australian election receiving over 8000 votes even though they entered only 2 months before the election. This bold experiment, if it succeeds, should certainly lead us to consider the possiblity of a similar initiative being implemented in the U.S.A. as a transitional step towards a more direct democratic system. - Editor
Senator On-Line is Australia's Only Internet Based Democratic Political Party
Senator On-Line is not aligned to any other political party… it is neither Liberal nor Labor.
Senator On-Line (‘SOL’) is a truly democratic party which will allow everyone on the Australian Electoral roll who has access to the internet to vote on every Bill put to Parliament and have its Senators vote in accordance with a clear majority view.
How did SOL go in the 2007 election?
Senator On-Line was approved shortly before the 2007 federal election was called. Senate counting continues and given we had only around two months to develop public awareness, spent no money on newspaper or TV advertising, we've received over 8000 votes nationally so far - a reasonable result and better than the national votes for four other parties.
We had over 1000 people who registered with us in the two months and emails offering support are continuing to roll in. We look forward to contesting the next election.
JOIN IN THE ELECTION COMMENTARY AND COMMUNITY DISCUSSION ON:
When a SOL senator is elected a web site will be developed which will provide:
- Accurate information and balanced argument on each Bill and important issues
- The vast majority of those registered on the Australian Electoral roll the chance to have their say by voting on bills and issues facing our country
- A tally of all votes which will then count in Parliament
- Each person on the Australian Electoral roll will be entitled to one vote and only be allowed to vote once on each bill or issue.
- SOL senators will have committed in writing to voting in line with the clear majority view of the SOL on-line voters.
- Senator On-Line will enable broader community involvement in the political process and the shaping of our country.
If you like the concept, please register your details and tell others about SOL.
This is the pre-election website. To find out what will be available when SOL wins a Senate seat click here.